AFAIK, SWE maintains that tests are derived from (Marketing/System/Software) Requirement Specifications – and that is the end.
If it were so, I am sure purists of Software Engineering would agree to my observation.
I have derived meaningful test cases from at least these sources:
- (Marketing/System/Software) Requirement Specifications
- Bugs reported from the field (escalations)
- Questions asked in mail groups for (System Engineers/Subject Matter Experts/Beta customers)
- Knowledge Base articles written for Customer Support Engineers
- Test Automation Scripts
- White papers from marketing – and competitor’s marketing
Where else have you got inspiration?