Everyone would jump to say “Wheel and axle!”
The second greatest invention to fire is not wheel and axle. In my view it is that of water storage.
No other animal moves with a hollowed gourd or a pot. That doesn’t make it one of the greatest invention.
Animals of prey generally hide near water holes. When a thirsty animal comes near the water hole, making itself an easy prey.
In this light, you’d see having a water bottle reduces frequency of getting near the source of water and as a corollary, increases chances of survival. Isn’t that fantastic?
Second point in favor of this wonderful invention: Elephants don’t roam farther away from source of water. With ability to store water, human beings could spread in much bigger radius.
This invention is some shades inferior in usefulness to that of fire.
- Fire can cook – a water bottle can’t
- Fire can help fight better with bigger animals – a water bottle is much weaker
- Fire can help migrate to colder climates – a water bottle can help increase radius of spread but can’t change climate
- Fire could be a basis of metallurgy – a water bottle has little to do with inducing chemical reactions
- Fire can serve as a source of lighting – a water bottle can’t